Friday, August 8, 2014

Is Hip-Hop Poetry? by Robert Pinsky



I love what Robert Pinsky speaks to, as far as this ancient art of poetry vis-a-vis this modern day bent for performance is concerned.  The distinction he makes, though, seems to me one of generational difference.  For example, I am closer in age to Pinsky than I am to the teens and twenties of today, and I was schooled on the formality of poetry and specifically its existence solely as printed on the page.  Of course I don't write on paper anymore, but on my laptop with Microsoft Word as my medium.  Still my poetry has evolved into a multimedia, cross-art phenomenon.  The very title of this blog speaks to that evolution, as recently, for instance, I wrote poetry straight on this blog, not on Word.  While I haven't quite written poetry for performance yet, I can and will do so, in ways that modern day culture relishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment