Friday, July 25, 2014

Open Letter to God, by Lindsey Michelle Williams



For any religion to be open, if in fact it claims to be, then it must allow for all sorts of views about religion.  Views, mind you.  Not practices, or other actions necessarily, especially if these are violent, destructive or otherwise demeaning.  Not allow for such practices or actions, that is.  But allow for the fact that many different people are bound to have many different reactions, feelings and beliefs, some of which may, and some of which may not, jibe with a particular religion.  

Apparently Lindsey Michelle Williams faced quite a stream of criticism for this poem, to which she responded graciously, empathically and ultimately nobly:
FROM THE AUTHOR:
TRIGGER WARNING: I know, by the overwhelming response that I got when I first posted this, that this piece hits many people the wrong way. (Notably, my very strongly christian family.)

In response to those asking me how I can be so ungrateful for my blessings, I would first say that I am not ungrateful. I feel very lucky and fortunate for everything that I have. But know that the feeling of being grateful does NOT necessarily have to be associated with a belief that these things were given to me by a greater power. I can feel grateful in relation to worldly standards. 
Secondly, I ask you to please move beyond this wall (of seeing this as a poem about me being ungrateful) and try to understand the deeper longing and frustration that this piece is truly about. Understand that I am not angry at God. Nor am I upset with Him. As I cannot have feelings toward an object I have never found for myself.

This poem is about searching. 
This poem is not an argument. 
It is simply my own feelings in a moment that have been manifest into words. 
I truly appreciate all reactions that come in response to this poem. And I honestly thank you for allowing my piece to move you in whatever way it did. As an artist, the greatest thing I could ask for is that you be moved -- Your direction of travel is not a matter of importance to my artistic fulfillment.

No comments:

Post a Comment