Monday, June 30, 2014

Vulnerability Study, by Solmaz Sharif


Me, at Art Dubai 2010, photo by Tina Vitug 
your face turning from mine
to keep from cumming 
8 strawberries in a wet blue bowl 
baba holding his pants
up at the checkpoint 
a newlywed securing her updo
with grenade pins 
a wall cleared of nails
for the ghosts to walk through
Vulnerability Study, by Solmaz Sharif

Oh, my was my first reaction on reading this poem.  Immediately it reminded me of a set of photographs at Art Dubai, which my friend photographed me in front of, portraying how the Iranian conflict had seeped into the everyday lives of people.  Emotionally, intimately, and economically.  "Baba" is a respectful Iranian term for grandfather or elderly father.  That is just one of many horrific reversals in this poem:  from commonplace and endearing; to disgusting (rape), dangerous (terrorism), and tragic (death).

Solmaz Sharif
 

No comments:

Post a Comment