Friday, December 13, 2013

Juliet in Love (3)




... is in a great mood but I won't explain ...
`Reading Shakespeare in Bernadeth's status update (part 3)


Juliet 
Wilt thou be gone? It is not yet near day.
It was the nightingale, and not the lark,
That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear.
Nightly she sings on yond pomegranate tree.
Believe me, love, it was the nightingale.
Romeo 
It was the lark, the herald of the morn;
No nightingale. Look, love, what envious streaks
Do lace the severing clouds in yonder East.
Night's candles are burnt out, and jocund day
Stands tiptoe on the misty mountaintops.
I must be gone and live, or stay and die.
from Act III (scene v)



The dawn approaches, Love, and we argue
Back-and-forth, which becomes our first aubade –
I say it is the nightingale that few
Lovers will see, but trust the night's façade;
While you believe the lark rises apace
With song that heralds now the break of day.
Oh, Love, let seconds stay upon my face –
You see what mood I'm in. The sheets we stay
In twists and pulls during the night are warm,
You know, and dawn approaches cool. You know
The reasons why there is an air of charm
From all I am – without explaining so.
This momentary love I want so much
That words slip from your disappearing touch.


Juliet in Love (Part 3) © Ron Villejo

No comments:

Post a Comment