Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Think of Laura



Laura Carter was the roommate of Christopher Cross' girlfriend, Paige, at Denison University in Columbus, Ohio. She was killed in 1982 by a stray bullet, apparently coming from a gang fight among men a block away. Laura was in the backseat of a car, being driven by her parents, who were visiting her for homecoming. Cross wrote the song - "Think of Laura" - to comfort Paige.

Laura Carter

Here's a cover by Dominic and Burton, which I found lovely and inspiring as well:


I have loved this song for a long time, and I didn't know the story behind it, until just a few years ago. I am amazed at how art - song and music - can turn a tragedy into something remarkably beautiful. I hope my song poem adds to its beauty.


© Ron Villejo


No comments:

Post a Comment