Monday, August 3, 2015

WH Auden (1) Addictions of Sin


To commemorate the centenary of the birth of one of Britain's most influential and best-loved poets, this film [broadcasted on BBC Four on May 17th 2009] combines dramatisations of telling events in the life of WH Auden with interviews from the TV and radio archives and extracts from Auden's poetry, notebooks, letters and journals.
The dramatization itself was weak, I thought, and as this documentary worn on, it seemed increasingly inconsequential.  What lifts it up and carries it forward, instead, were the interviews, the recitations, and also the soundtrack.  To learn about the towering poet and his intellectual power and exquisite verse, so inspiring to me, was a pleasure to me.

My how much he smoked.

His face grew deeply creased over time, and he looked like well into his 80s in his last few years.

I loved hearing about his travels to Iceland, Germany, Austria, China and United States.  I am not so sure I want to write poetry per se, but perhaps lift my our journeys, our journals Blogger and perhaps create its companion on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment