Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Where are the Dolls, by Elizabeth Bishop


The story of a fictional version of Elizabeth Bishop set to her poem, "Where are the dolls who loved me so..." It's a kind of fever dream, one that emerges from the subconscious of the character and explores the themes of the poem and Bishop's work and life in a broader sense.
Her poem
Where are the dolls who loved me so
when I was young?
Who cared for me with hands of bisque,
poked breadcrumbs in between my lips,
Where are the early nurses,
Gertrude, Zilpha and Nokomis?
Through their real eyes
blank crotches,
and play wrist‐watches
whose hands moved only when they wanted –
Their stoicism I never mastered
their smiling phrase for every occasion –
They went their rigid little ways
To meditate in trunks or closets
To let [life and] unforeseen emotions
glance off their glazed complexions
Where are the Dolls, by Elizabeth Bishop
 

No comments:

Post a Comment