Friday, October 31, 2014

Holi Festival of Colors: Part 3


In 2009, I began to write poetry on the history, culture and heritage, and arts on India.  I meant it to be a comprehensive accounting and multiple volume set, that I titled Outsider Eyes, Insider Soul.  After all, I was Filipino-American, and I was writing about a country I had never visited.  I was, however, among a thriving Indian community in Dubai, and made friends with a good many I met.

I was duly enthralled.

Here is one poem in the collection:

(image credit)

Oh festival of colors Oh victory of good over evil What fun to herald the start of spring What holiness descends upon the world Such colors to symbolize fire and light and life Oh festival of colors Oh victory of good over evil What fun to herald the start of spring What holiness descends upon the world Such colors to symbolize fire and light and life Oh festival of colors Oh victory of good over evil What fun to herald the start of spring What holiness descends upon the world Such colors to symbolize fire and light and life Oh festival of colors Oh victory of good over evil What fun to herald the start of spring What holiness descends upon the world Such colors to symbolize fire and light and life Oh festival of colors Oh victory of good over evil What fun to herald the start of spring What holiness descends upon the world Such colors to symbolize fire and light and life Oh festival of colors Oh victory of good over evil What fun to herald the start of spring What holiness descends upon the world Such colors to symbolize fire and light and life Oh festival of colors
 

Holi Festival of Colors: Part 3 © Ron Villejo

2 comments: